Friday, May 10, 2013

Nursing through a Stomach Virus

Yes, you read that right. A stomach virus has hit our house twice in the past couple of months, when you add that on top of the stomach problems I already have....well let's just say vomiting has become somewhat common. Here are some ways I was able to keep nursing despite the whole "feeling like your going to die" while you are in the middle of it.

A few things to know about a stomach virus. For most people most of the time the vomiting part only lasts for 10 hours. Secondly, it is highly contagious, yes my poor 6 month old had it.

1. Wash your hands. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but it is very important. I would even try to change my shirt before picking up my baby to feed her.

2. Keep drinking. I know it is the last thing you want to do, but sipping some Gatorade helps. Even if you are losing it, you are still getting some hydration and nourishment. (Bonus is it gives you something to come up.)

3. Lay down. Find a spot where you are comfortable and baby can be close by. I chose my bed when my husband was available to help and the couch when he was not. I would allow the baby to play and sleep in the play yard next to me, while I put movies on for the big kiddies. I dozed and kept a bucket near me.

It is not easy, but it is doable. The key is to rest and drink. Once the vomiting has subsided drink as much as you can. You want to rehydrate yourself. Also, I am no doctor, so take care of you. If you need to stop nursing, that is ok. These are the things that worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment