Sunday, January 13, 2013

Priorities

Cheering on Alabama for the Championship
This is a word you will find us using a lot more around our home lately. Most of Americans have their all wrong! Quite a few of the girls I attended high school and college with are envious of stay-at-home moms. I feel for these girls. Some of them I am sure are working because their husband's income is just not enough, but I am fairly certain that most of them have bought into the wrong priorities.

Priority means: precedence, something that comes first, a superiority

We have TVs, but no cable. This is a HUGE shock to most people! In a world of mixed up priorities it is more important to watch a game than to play one with your family. It is more important to relax by watch a TV show that is turning your mind to mush, than to read a book (I am totally guilty of this though, but I have been working on it). There is a couple of things I would enjoy watching if we had cable, like the Duggars or some Hallmark movies, but we cannot justify spending money we do not have (that is another blog post in itself) on something we would rarely use. Not to mention bringing something into our home full of things we do not approve of.

We currently have internet of our phones, but plan on getting rid of it in the next month. It again is something that is not a priority. It is something that takes time and attention away from my family. There very useful things we have access to because we have internet on our phones, but more often I find myself caught up in social media, checking blogs, among other things when I could be engaging in conversation and play with my children or husband.

We buy in bulk, and make many things from scratch. We buy only a few (every once in a while) convenience type foods. Yes, it would be nice to use a box to cook for my family, but if we can save some money to spend on something fun for our family, why not?!

We don't take big elaborate vacations we have to borrow to pay for. We would love to take our children to Disney World (having grown up less than an hour from it and going multiple times a year, it is part of me)! We are hoping to take them there later this year, but we will not go into debt to do it. If we do not get to go then our lives will still be the same. The world tells you that you have to take your family on so many vacations, and you should spend so much.

Too many Christians have bought into the lies of the world. You have to buy this house, send your kids to this school, wear this kind of clothing, and "keep up with the Joneses." Unfortunately these have become priorities in Christians lives and because of this many women have left the thought of being able to work from behind them. If they would prioritize many could cut budgets enough to be able to stay home.

I know that many women desire to be home, but cannot. I was one at one time, but if they prayerfully consider where there money is going I think that God can make a way. There is even a song.....

Oh, God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me

He will be my guide
Hold me closely to his side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way
 by Don Moen

2 comments:

  1. Had to stop by because I adore the title of your blog! Sounds like you are living your best life and are exactly where you are supposed to be. Such a sweet read on a Monday Morning!

    ReplyDelete