Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Week 8~ Morning Sickness

I may not be the best person to write on this subject since I am not a "puker", I just battled severe, all day long nausea, with my first two. This time around is a little different. Every morning I wake up to extreme nausea and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to eat my breakfast. I have learned if I can hold out until (and by that I mean keep from vomiting) until 10:00 am, a switch turns off and I am good for the rest of the day, unless I smell something that "stinks". I have heard (because you know everyone has advice when you are pregnant) and read that protein, ginger ale, coke, peppermint, ginger candy, crackers, and so on can help. I will tell you a few things that have helped me.


  • Protein- A protein rich dinner has helped me to not me as sick when I first wake up. I try to eat meat and beans with dinner (both of which sound great to me these days).
  • Coke- Only a few seem to settle my stomach, and a few seem to set it off. You may have to try a few before you find one that works for you.
  • Candy- Peppermint works for me this time, but not in the past. There are several maternity stores as well as websites that offer anti-nausea candy that really does work. Preggie Pop Drops are amazing (my husband even tried them one day when he was not feeling good, and he loves them).
  • Small meals- They really do work! I find if I eat several small meals it helps keep me from getting sick, and as a bonus helps my energy stay up as well.
Really, the truth is that every pregnancy is different. All three of mine have been different, so you just have to try things that work for you. Unfortunately you may be a little miserable until you do. My doctor gave me the best advice (after he laughed at me when I told him I was craving Buffalo Chicken), he said "Eat whatever sounds good." I love that advice, in moderation of course ;) I still have about 4-5 weeks of this so I may have to update my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment