Sunday, July 7, 2013

School


This is our first official year of Homeschooling. I am a little nervous as we start! I was not homeschooled, only grew of knowing (distantly) maybe a handful of homeschoolers, my step-mom homeschooled for a few years, but other than that I have only read about it. I now have a few friends who homeschool, but I am grateful for these friends who have gone before me (Titus 2 women). 

I was given the ABeka curriculum for K-4 through 5th grade. I have also taught before using this curriculum, so I am comfortable with it. Since this is my first year I figured it would be a good curriculum to use because it is so good about telling you exactly what to do. Over the next couple of years I may try new curriculum, but I may not since I was privileged to have it handed to me.

From my understanding of our state laws the only thing I am required to do is report attendance. I will hopefully be attending some conferences over the next few years to help me find my way. 

We are starting a little early I know, but I read once that it is good to start in the heat of summer, so you can take some time off when the weather is nicer. We will be schooling year round and we will be taking a few vacations as well, plus some time around the holidays.

I am hoping to post all this week about our homeschool, Faithful Christian Academy (just a name we chose, not a requirement to homeschool), here are what I am planning for the rest of the week:

~ Pictures of our first day and our homeschool area
~ Our schedule (which might change once we get into the swing of things)
~ Organization of our Curriculum and supplies
~ An update of how our first week went and a list of field trips we hope to take



Books that my mom read and learned from when she was a child. I enjoyed them when I was little and now my children will enjoy them!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! I have been homeschooling my only child for 7 years now, and I cannot imagine any other way of educating her now. We have used Time4Learning as our core curriculum. It is online. We also use a lot of other online resources because that is the way my daughter learns best. Vocabulary and Spelling City has a summer program you might be interested in (www.spellingcity.com). We love Spelling City.
    Just remember that a curriculum is only good if it fits not only your child's learning style but your teaching style as well. Don't be afraid to try something else if the curriculum doesn't work. Flexibility is one of the greatest things about homeschooling! I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was thinking of doing a computer or Internet curriculum once they become strong readers, hopefully around 3rd or 4th grade. I am looking forward to the flexibility!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Although I am a newlywed mother of 0, I still am thinking about choices for our future children and wonder if homeschooling is a viable option. It feels like most of the home school bloggers I read are veterans, so it is so nice and refreshing to hear from a "newbie". Thanks for that!!

    ReplyDelete