Friday, July 8, 2011

Saving money

I don't know about anyone else, but we have a few grocery store near us, conveniently near us. Maybe a little to convenient, when I find myself there several times a week. My husband and I live on a very tight budget and we started realizing just how much gas we were spending just "run up the road" and get whatever it was that we needed, and usually a couple of thing we did not need. I have recently started saying "no" to this. For example, tonight I made tater tot casserole for dinner, but did not have the cream of chicken soup or the evaporated milk. I knew my kids and I liked it (my husband was not eating, because of a late lunch and not feeling well). It was also something, when I have all of the ingredients, that can be thrown together quickly. I thought, I guess I will have to run up to the store, but we were not doing that anymore, so I got onto our computer and searched for recipes and found them. I was thrilled to make the casserole, with homemade ingredients. Yes, it is more convenient to have those things on hand, but with a little preparation I can. I made too much cream of chicken soup, so I put the rest of it in a jar and put it in the fridge. I am planning of freezing it if I do not use it in the next day or two. I am actually enjoying making many of these things from scratch, it is nice to be able to pronounce everything in the list of ingredients..........



No comments:

Post a Comment