Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Teaching my Daughter

Spandex Shorts
Leggings
Pants
God has been laying on my heart more and more a desire about really teaching my daughter about modesty. I know she is only 22 months, but I am saddened so much lately when I go out in public and find little girls with their little bitty shorts or dresses. I know some parents say "but they are still little", but what concerns me is the lesson you are instilling in them (I am not going to get into the pedophiles who are enjoying all of your child you are revealing). When our children are young, we are starting to train them. They will constantly be in training until they leave our nest. At what point do you say well those shorts are too short or those pants are too tight, what magical age does a child hit. I have heard when a child starts to develop. My only problem is what if you have a child that develops early and one that develops late. How is it fair for a child like me who started at 9, to be told now you have to stop dressing this way, and my step-sister who started at 12. Boys are boys, I catch my 3 year old son drawn to commercials (from what very little TV we watch when home) that have women in bathing suits. I know he does not really understand, but he is a boy and that is the way he is "wired." It is my job as the mom to teach my daughter what modesty is. I have to not only show her what clothes are modest according to the Bibles standards, but I also have the responsibility to show her how to carry herself modestly. Modesty is not only dress. I am very disappointed in how many little girls today are wearing dresses and not taught how to sit in them. I am not saying that I expect my soon to be 2 year old to be able to sit modestly all the time, but as the person who dresses her I know there are things I can do to help her stay modest until she has MASTERED the ability to stay modest. I dress her in little spandex shorts, leggings, and sometimes when it is cold she will wear pants. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen little girls sit in a way that is revealing, it has been on a floor while I was teaching, at the library, on a playground, in church, at a restaurant, and I could go on, but the point is we have dropped the ball. Somewhere through the years moms have stopped teaching their daughters about this important virtue. I hope I can teach my daughter about loving by example, and I pray that she will have heart that will desire God's will in every aspect of her life!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I agree. I have a hard time getting my daughter to wear shorts under her dresses (she's 5), but we are working on it. We talk about modesty a lot, and she has pointed out things that are and aren't modest in stores and magazines. I am also working on her to be careful how she sits when she is in a dress. I know it will take lots of repetition, but she does try, and doesn't mind me reminding her.

    ReplyDelete