Monday, May 9, 2011

Life is a vapor

In the past 24 hours I have found out that a girl I went to college with has breast cancer and a girl I was in elementary school with has passed away. I am reminded daily as I watch my children grow how fast time flies, but for some reason it is learning things like this that make me really stop. I am always so concerned about the future, and don't get me wrong that is important as well, but what matters most is here and now. That is what we have. It reminds me of that hymn "For I know, who holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lived." I know that my friend Heather would go to heaven, if God chooses for her cancer to take her, but I don't believe Aynsley did. I think what hit me the hardest was the fact that I found her on the social network I am a member of in July of 2009, but did not request her to be my friend at that time. I knew that my friends from elementary school drink and party, and I did not want to get into that. Now, that I know that on April 10, 2010, she would die, I should have. I don't know if my light would have been bright enough for those few months for her to have noticed, but what if it had. It reminds me that we are only here on this earth for a short time, so we should shine brightly because we never know when our time is up. Since I am only in my 20's I have, as do many others my age, to think that these kinds of things don't happen to people my age. It does though. No one is exempt from anything simply because of age, I am sure the parents at the Ronald McDonald House can testify to that. Only God knows when our time is up here, and we need to remember that it only what we have done for Him that will last. I am reminded of the words to my favorite hymn:
To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
It's shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He'll call me someday to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I'll share.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Until my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.


No comments:

Post a Comment