Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day

I haven't been a very big fan of Mother's Day since my mom passed away, but since I have had children it has become better. I must say though that God has brought several different women into my life that have meant so much to me and I would like to pay tribute to them.
Chris~ My step-mother, who I did not like at first, put up with me through those teen years when most kids don't even like their biological parents let alone step parents. She loved me and stood her ground. Because of her I am who am today. She has been their for me when I needed her and his filled a small bit of that hole that was left. God blessed my life the day she and my dad married. I am so thankful that she is by his side.
Debbie~ My mother-in-law who prayed for me before I was even born. She has welcomed me into her family with open arms. She makes me feel like one of her own children, and whether or not she realizes it she is an answer to my prayers. When my mom died I began praying for a mother-in-law who would be like a mom to me, and I thank God for answering my prayers.
Mrs. Donna Davis~ One of my best friend's mom and my high school English teacher, she has taught me more than I can remember. I am so thankful for her understanding, having lost her mother young as well she always knew the right thing to say. Through the years as I have grown closer to her and her family I have more and more love and gratitude for her and no words can express.
Aunt Cathy~ My mom's sister, although she has been absent from my life for several years, we have recently reconnected. She reminds me of my mom in many ways, and I am so thankful to be close to her again. I thank God that she will be there in my children's lives as their great-aunt and as someone to give them just a small glimpse of what it would have been like to have their grandmother around.
There are several others Nonnie, who has given me love and recipes, Mrs. Smith, who was a dear friend's mom and I spent many many years at her home and doing things with her family, Aunt Joy, who I was around more when my mom was alive, but still means the world to me, most of my teachers at ACS and friends parents. I am sorry if I have not mentioned you by name, but know I am truly grateful!
Last but not least I would like to recognize someone who for many years stepped up to that plate in the mother role for me. This took care of me and held me close during those hard times. This person loved me even when I didn't make it easy. This person was always and has always been there if I ever needed to talk or when someone hurt me they were there to pick up the pieces. This person had a difficult job of becoming an single parent and not by choice. I wish I could figure out a better way to let him know just how special he is and how much I love him for the sacrifices he has made for me through the years. I had a country song brought to mind when I think about him. He would know it well, Kenny Rogers "Through the Years":


Through the years, through all the good and bad
I knew how much we had, I've always been so glad
To be with you ... Through the years
It's better everyday, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years


I would like to say Happy Mother's Day to all my "mothers" but most of all to my dad! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment