Saturday, May 14, 2011

Who needs sleep....

Lately my son no longer wants to sleep in his bed. When we go in and ask him what is wrong he either points at the ceiling or the window. My upstairs neighbors are very loud, and we think that he just doesn't understand that the noise is coming from people upstairs. When he points at the window, my husband and I believe it is the kids who run around all hours of the night unsupervised. These children have been known to knock on doors and run, so we are starting to think that they may be knocking on his window as well. Unfortunately, these things have seemed to happen for the past several nights, so that leads me back to my beginning statement, my son no longer wants to sleep in his bed. Now you would think I would be complaining. I am not. Tonight as I was getting frustrated, because it was after 10 and he had not gone to sleep yet, meanwhile his sister has been asleep since 8:30, which means she will be up at 6:30. This is bad for me because it means I don't get enough sleep, but this is not my point. As I go to rock him in our glider, God softens my heart by reminding me in just a few short years this time will be gone. I will turn from rocking him to sleep, to shaking him awake. He will stop being afraid of what is out there, and I will become afraid of what is out there. As he continues to get older he will need me less and less. So I need to cherish this moment, when I am so tired I think I am doing a better job of rocking myself to sleep than him, because soon it will be a memory. It reminds me of the best advice anyone gave me when I was pregnant with him, this woman said: "Enjoy every moment, even in the middle of the night, when you haven't slept and he won't stop crying and all you want is for him to go to sleep, stop and cherish that moment because it won't last long." She was right......

No comments:

Post a Comment